The EU-funded project ProSkill aims to develop a high-skill ecosystem to tackle skill problems and gaps in the mineral raw materials industry of the Visegrád countries. One of the activities organised to achieve this is the ProSkill International Mentoring Programme, coordinated by project partner European Federation of Geologists (EFG).
Mentoring is a training process in which experienced professionals (mentors) guide other individuals (mentees) in their professional development in a targeted way and over a fixed period.
The ProSkill International Mentoring Programme is matching students (mentees) from project partner universities with industry professionals (mentors). The employees of the future will have to adapt to new challenges and changes in the industry. In addition, they will need to develop both technical and soft skills, which are not necessarily learnt at university. The mentors are experienced professionals who are European Geologists’ title holders. Their vast experience can help mentees to know which are the current and future needs of the industry.
Some of the benefits the mentees can obtain are:
- broadening their professional network
- improving technical knowledge in a particular field
- improving leadership/management skills
- acquiring practical tools and strategies for the transition from a junior role into roles with higher responsibilities
- benefiting from insider knowledge about work perspectives in another geosciences sector or other countries and obtaining practical advice and contacts
If you would like to know more about the EFG/ProSkill International Mentoring programme, you can find more information here: https://eurogeologists.eu/efgeomentoring